Welcome to St Gertrude’s Catholic Primary School Smithfield’s website. I encourage you to take the time to learn more about our great school.
We are a welcoming and caring Catholic community which includes many families who have been connected to our school for generations. At St Gertrude’s we embrace students and their families from diverse cultural backgrounds. Our staff are committed to ensuring that we care for every student and they work tirelessly to enhance the well-being of each individual.
We work closely in partnership with parents and the Parish as we are committed to developing and sustaining an authentic Catholic school. We provide quality contemporary education that promotes a positive and safe learning environment. We prepare our students for the future to take their place in an ever changing world. We support our students in becoming citizens who are respectful and responsible.
As the current principal I feel privileged to lead this vibrant Catholic community. Please feel free to contact me for a tour or to discuss any aspect of school life and how we can best support your child’s learning journey. We offer a bursary (fee reduction) for your child’s education, subject to the eligibility criteria. To learn more, please contact our school office.
Yours in peace,
Mrs. Linda O’Regan
St Gertrude’s was opened in January 1952 by the Josephite Sisters and continues to foster the values and traditions of St Mary of the Cross Mackillop to this day. We are reminded each day of these values and act upon them through our words and actions.
For many years, St Gertrude’s Primary School Smithfield was led by the Sisters of St Joseph who built strong foundations and are a rich history of our school. The Josephite values continue to be instilled in the day to day life of our St Gertrude’s school community.
St Gertrude the Great, herself, was a Benedictine nun who is affiliated with our Parish. Our local church, St Benedict’s, was led by the Benedictine order. Currently, it is led by Pauline Fathers, contributing to our school’s Catholic identity.
Our school motto ‘Desire God and Learning’ affirms our commitment to learning, to nurture our faith and grow in hope as a community.
As partners in Catholic education, we commit ourselves to our students by:
- actively living and encouraging Gospel values
- providing a stimulating and challenging teaching and learning environment
- assisting children in understanding their roles and responsibilities as global citizens underpinned by Catholic values
- fostering in all a hope for the future
- nurturing respectful relationships with students, teacher, parents, parish and the wider community.
At St Gertrude’s we commit ourselves to developing and sustaining an authentic Catholic school which is:
- founded on the person of Jesus Christ, enlivened by the Gospels and inspired by the work of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop
- centred within a community enriched by Gospel values
- dedicated to providing a balanced and challenging curriculum which addresses the diverse needs of our students
- respectful of the faith and cultural identity of each student
- committed to developing and celebrating the whole person.
Our Parish Priest, Fr. Jarek Zan and Assistant Parish Priests are present figures within St Gertrude’s and act as the spiritual leaders to the students, staff and community. The Parish and school work together in an active partnership to assist the spiritual development of the students.
St. Gertrude’s Parish in Smithfield serves the local community of Smithfield through Mass, community activities and opportunities for evangelisation. The parish church is located opposite the school and is the location of many spiritual celebrations in both the school and wider community.
- Parish: Corner of Justin and Neville Street Smithfield NSW 2164
- Mailing: 6 Justin Street Smithfield NSW 2164
Telephone: (02) 9604 1199
- Parish Priest: Fr. Jarek Zan OSPPE
- Assistant Parish Priests: Fr. Wojtek Sliwa OSPPE & Fr. Peter James Strohmayer OSPPE
- Sunday: 8am Italian, 10:30am, 6pm
- Weekdays: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 9:15am
- Wednesday: 6pm
- Saturday: 6pm Vigil
Proudly Part of the Community of Sydney Catholic Schools
Our school is part of a system of over 150 low-fee Catholic schools in the Sydney Archdiocese.
Sydney Catholic Schools are thriving Catholic communities that ignite a love of Christ through excellent teaching and learning to empower students to reach their full potential.